Wednesday, February 22, 2012

St. Patrick's Rag Wreath

Hi friends how are you?!?! Can I be a little honest with you? I have been feeling totally BLAH lately. Not like sick blah or like depressed blah, just...blah.

Like you've sat on the couch all day in your pajamas, watching reality tv, eating ice-cream blah.

Except I haven't done any of those things. I think I have to blame it on the weather. I'm one of those weird people whose mood is completely dependent on what it looks like outside. And outside it's been cloudy, rainy/snowy and COLD for over a week and so I just feel blah! Something about clouds and rain makes me feel tired and unmotivated. I need some SUNSHINE!!!

I will tell you though...I just absolutely LOOOOVED reading your 'pet peeves' as part of the entries for the giveaway last weekend! They were the little bit of sunshine to my cloudy week and they made me laugh, and most of them I was yelling at the computer, "I KNOW, ME TOO!" ha ha! So thank you for sharing those, it makes me feel like I get to know you, the readers, a little bit better instead of you always reading about me!

Okay, so I know decorating for St. Patrick's day isn't a super popular holiday to decorate for and you probably don't have a ton of clover decorations floating around your house-if any. Even though you may not want to go all out and decorate because it's just for a couple weeks in march, if you're looking for just a little somethin' somethin' to add to your house to bring a little of the 'luck' charm your way, I would suggest a wreath! And a simple one at that!!


Rag wreaths, I would say, are THE easiest, fastest and probably cheapest wreath there is to make. AND I would also say a perfect wreath for a fun, spunky holiday like St. Patrick's day, 4th of July, Halloween, etc. I found this rag wreath online last year and I loved the texture it had and knew I wanted to do something similar.



*Supplies*
-green circle wreath form (mine is from JoAnns)
-complimentary fabric colors (for this wreath I chose 2 shades of green and some green tulle). It'll take about 1/2 yard of fabric total, so I used 1/4 of each shade of green.
-Scissors
-embellishments

(I actually made this last year before I was blogging so you'll have to excuse the poor quality pictures of the how-to :) )
1. First you cut lots of strips of fabric-mine were about 2"x9".

2. Then just start tying them around the wreath form in whatever pattern you prefer.


This is what the back of the wreath will look like.


3. When you have it as full as you like...embellish! I hung this cute little shamrock ornament from the top of my wreath (from JoAnns).


These little do-dads are St. Patrick's picks (also from JoAnns) and I just pulled the metal pick part out and hot glued them straight to the wreath. (which seems to have worked fine since they're still glued on a year later!)




I used some fun green/white st. patty's ribbon from the dollar store to hang it with. The ribbon is just pinned using straight pins to the back side of the wreath.


I know you can't see the tulle very well in these pictures, but in person it's easier to see and I love the extra little whimsical touch the tulle adds. :)


I had the tulle and lt. green fabric already on hand, and the embellishments were purchased at 50% off so the total price for this wreath came in right at about $6. Yay! But even if you had to purchase everything to make this it would be about $7/8 to make-not too shabby right?!


I don't have boxes full of St. Patrick's nick-knacks, but you know I'm pretty much obsessed with ALL holidays and celebrating them in lots of fun different ways-including decor-so over the next couple weeks I'll be sharing some fun, easy decor, party ideas, and kid activities for this fun little holiday.

Annnnnd be sure to check back FIRST thing tomorrow morning for the results of the Cutting Edge Stencil giveaway winner to find out if it was YOU! :)

Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

Amanda said...

Angela,
I love this wreath! So versatile and we can make it for any Holiday!! For the record, I've felt kinda blah, too. Today in Arkansas was beautiful, and literally I felt better immediately. Ready for some life outside!!
Love,
Amanda

Jessica :) said...

Cute! St. Patricks day is the always forgotten holiday around our house but I think adding a little green to the house is fun - if for nothing else than the world needs some green somewhere this time of year, right? I'll have to do something fun for the holiday this year. I'm looking forward to your next posts about it! I think a lot of us start getting blah around this time of year. Here today it's sunny but so windy it's almost as bad as freezing and gray without snow. (somehow if it snows I feel better.) Anyway, I hope your wintertime blahs get lifted soon!

Just Jaime said...

SO cute! I love the Shamrock!

Whitney Cypert said...

This is the cutest St. Patrick's wreath I have ever seen! Good job!! : )

A To Zebra Celebrations said...

I love this!! i have so many fabric scraps...totally cute!! Come link on my blog if you'd like. I have linky party on Tuesdays and it is open for 5 days :)

Unknown said...

So fun! I made one last year on a wire wreath and I'm just about to break it out for this year!

Trina said...

Very cute.

Tonii said...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...I TOTALLY love this wreath! Can you come decorate my house for me for every holiday? PLEASE?!! :) You are awesome!

Alisa and Sky said...

Very cute! Looks like I will be making a trip to Joann's next week :)

Unknown said...

I am in love with this wreath! I am going to the fabric store a little later, and am grabbing up a bunch of green fabric so I can make one! I am hosting my 2nd link party, and would love for you to add this along with anything else you like!

http://www.mom4realky.blogspot.com/2012/02/4-real-friday-link-party-2.html

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

Ugh, I know what you mean about those blah days where you can't pinpoint what it is! I find shopping, even for something small {like new lipgloss)kind of helps.

Another fab & festive wreath. Silly question....how do you store all your wreaths?

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

I love this project. I hope you will stop by and link up to my St. Patty's Day Project Parade.

Lyndsey said...

I love this wreath!! Its so stinkin cute

Anonymous said...

finasteride 5mg cheap propecia for sale - generic propecia is it safe